WordPress.com v/s WordPress.org
WordPress is one of the most popular ways to build a website. A platform that helps you to build your website without having to learn those difficult coding languages. However, being a beginner in this field most of us get confused between wordpress.com and wordpress.org.
In this article, I will help you understand the difference between the two in the simplest manner. I will also help you choose between the two by comparing them.
WordPress.com v/s WordPress.org
The major difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org is, who is hosting your website.
A website has two essentials:
- A domain name – The actual name of your website. For example – butterflycosmos.com.
- A hosting server – A service that allows individuals and organizations to make their website assessable on the Internet in the whole world.
WordPress.org is a platform where you can find 100% free WordPress software. You can download and install this software on your own webserver to create a website. In the case of WordPress.org, you host your own website.
However, with WordPress.com, it is (wordpress.com) that hosts your website for you. To create a website you just need to create an account on wordpress.com. With the free version of wordpress.com, you get very limited features.
WordPress.com and WordPress.org Comparisons:
- Cost of using WordPress.com vs WordPress.org –
WordPress.com provides the user with various options that are both free and paid. It allows you to create your own website for free but with very limited features. However, the different paid version provides you with different options. There are six different plans provided by wordpress.com hosting. They are as follows:
- Free – very limited features
- Personal – 160 Rs Per month (If paid annually)
- Premium – 280 Rs Per month (If paid annually)
- Business – 640 Rs Per month (If paid annually)
- E-commerce – 1152 Rs Per month (If paid annually)
- VIP – 2000 US $ per month.
WordPress.org provides you with a free completely functional website. However, for making a wordpress.org website you need to buy a domain name and a hosting service from a domain and hosting provider, which might cost you an average of (2000 – 10000) Rs per year, depending on the Domain and hosting company used and the plan purchased.
2. Advantages of WordPress.com free version –
- It provides 3GB of disc space. For increasing your disk space, you will have to switch to the various paid plans provided by WordPress.com.
- It’s easy to set up as you don’t have to deal with domain and hosting and linking them together
- The updates and backups are taken care of by the company.
3. Disadvantages of WordPress.com –
- Your site will only be displayed under a subdomain (e.g. https://yourwebsite.wordpress.com)
- You cannot monetize your website by displaying ads on your website.
- WordPress.com will display its own ads on your website. For removing those ads, you will have to switch to the paid plan.
- You cannot install any themes or plugins on your site, which is not offered by wordpress.com. i.e you have very limited options.
- You cannot track your website performance by linking it to platforms like Google analytics.
4. Advantages of WordPress.org-
- The WordPress software is free and very easy to use.
- You own your website i.e you can control what happens to your website.
- It allows you to add free, paid, or custom themes/plugins to your website as per your requirements.
- You can earn money from your website by placing ads on your website.
- You can track your website performance by linking it to tools like Google Analytics.
5. Disadvantages of WordPress.org-
- You will have to buy Domain names and hosting services from a service provider, which can seem to be a difficult task to few.
- The backups and updates have to be done manually for themes and plugins installed on your website unless you set them on auto-update, which can sometimes have bugs that affect the performance of your site.
For a beginner with little or no knowledge about WordPress.com and Wordpres.org, it might seem difficult at first to decide what to choose.
If you are thinking of long-term and planning to earn something in the future from your website WordPress.org is what I recommend. It might seem a little technical and difficult to understand at first, but you give it a week and it will not scare you.
If you have no long-term plans and do not want to go through the hassle of learning the technicalities WordPress.com is your destination. It is also a good option for those who just want to try out a plan or a dummy sample.
Choosing the right option is very important as it helps you prepare a base for your business. Choose wisely and happy learning.